My all time favourite TV series is M*A*S*H, a comedy/drama centred around the doctors and nurses of the 4077th M*A*S*H unit during the Korean War. The series was so popular that it outlasted the duration of the 3 year war, spanning 11 seasons and 251 episodes.

The strong characterisation and story lines presented thought provoking themes that provide an ideal platform for lessons on life and leadership. Whether you are a fan of the show or not, I'm sure you will connect with my leadership insights from M*A*S*H.

LEADING FROM THE TRENCHES features bite-sized, candid insights that speak into the gritty space of leadership through the eyes of a fellow leader seeking to "lead with all diligence" (Romans 12:8).

Monday, December 17, 2012

Discovering Your Purpose

Episode 30:  Kim

Trapper:  Maybe this is why I was sent to Korea.
Hawkeye:   Maybe, but I wouldn’t underestimate your draft board.
Trapper:   Up until now I felt my being here was senseless. For  

           the first time I think I have a real reason for being            here.

A wounded Korean boy who was brought to the 4077 was thought to be an orphan, prompting Trapper to write to his wife at home about adopting him.  After receiving positive news from home, the mother of the boy turns up looking for her son. 

For most of my life I have been driven by a clear purpose which has come from a strong calling from a young age.  Yet, there was a season in my life before that calling became a reality when I found myself in an interim job where I lacked any real sense of purpose.  The difference between then and now is that without purpose I was unmotivated and lacked incentive, but with purpose I am highly motivated and have a clear vision for the future.  I believe John Maxwell is right when he says, “Everyone has his own specific vocation or mission in life.”  Discovering your vocation or mission is like having the fuel that drives an engine. Purpose gives you focus, energy and passion to pursue your particular calling, leading to a life of meaning and fulfillment.  Leaders with purpose build successful teams by inspiring those they lead to discover and fulfill their purpose also.

No comments:

Post a Comment