My all time favourite TV series is M*A*S*H, a comedy/drama centred around the doctors and nurses of the 4077th M*A*S*H unit during the Korean War. The series was so popular that it outlasted the duration of the 3 year war, spanning 11 seasons and 251 episodes.

The strong characterisation and story lines presented thought provoking themes that provide an ideal platform for lessons on life and leadership. Whether you are a fan of the show or not, I'm sure you will connect with my leadership insights from M*A*S*H.

LEADING FROM THE TRENCHES features bite-sized, candid insights that speak into the gritty space of leadership through the eyes of a fellow leader seeking to "lead with all diligence" (Romans 12:8).

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Righteous Anger


Episode 5:  The Moose

Colonel Blake: Of course it’s illegal and immoral.  I mean, I 
can order Baker to release her and he can pick her up again five 
minutes after he leaves.
Hawkeye:       I never thought you’d chicken out like this Henry.
Colonel Blake: Oh come on!
Hawkeye:       If you haven’t got any more guts than that, I’m 
not going to work here. I’ll quit this outfit. I’ll quit the war.
Colonel Blake: Really?  Well, who’s gonna break the news to Truman and MacArthur.

Hawkeye and Trapper become outraged when a visiting G.I. arrives at camp with a Korean girl as a servant, a “Moose”.  Unsatisfied that Colonel Blake was unable to do anything about it Hawkeye takes matters into his own hands to correct this injustice.

It was once said, "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.”  Leaders are often confronted by evil and injustice in their circles of influence.  I recall in previous employment being enraged by an unjust situation that evoked little concern or reaction by the management.  Unable to ignore the injustice I instinctively went to the aid of the person concerned, despite the indifference of those around me. There comes a point for every leader when you can no longer ignore the brokenness of this world and a decision must be made whether you are going to be a part of the solution or the problem.  Righteous anger is the fuel that ignites a passion within us to stand up and make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment